The Root family is listed as one of the early settlers in “A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, before 1692”.
We often receive enquiries, especially from America about the Root or Roote family.
There are no monuments, gravestones nor descendants of the family that we can identify in Badby village today.
The 17th century Parish Records record births, baptisms, marriages and burials of a few members of the family.
The records are now housed at the Northamptonshire Records Office and Archives which includes these details for contact:
Email : Historic Environment Record – firstname.lastname@example.org
Write: Records Office (archives) Wootton Hall Park Northampton NN4 8BQ UK
Below are the results of research by former resident Cristine Orr.
Thomas Roote married in Milton Malsor. This Thomas had a field and house in Badby in 1597, but gave it up in 1606. His son John was born in Milton Malsor probably in 1570. Badby registers show:
- July 27, 1600: John Roote married Ann Rushall at Badby. The Rushall family also appears as Russall and later as Russell in different entries
- December 21, 1600 Marie, daughter of John & Ann Roote was baptised
- October 18, 1603 Susanna, daughter of John & Ann Roote was baptised
- January 16, 1605 Thomas, son of John & Ann Roote was baptised. Thomas went to U.S.A. in 1637
- February 26, 1608 John, son of John & Ann Roote was baptised. John also went to U.S.A. in 1637.
- April 5, 1609 Thomas Roote was buried in Badby.
There are several family genealogy websites that can be found through Google. We have come across these:
Biographical sketch Thomas Roote 1555-1609 http://www.griffinfamilytree.com/bios/bio_roote_thos.html
Family Tree Maker – Mary Ann Russell and notes for John Roote and descendants http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/o/b/e/Denise-Michelle-Oberlies/GENE1-0060.html
Root Line family story http://www.ancientfaces.com/research/story/402176
Root Genealogical Records. 1600-1870: Comprising the General History of the Root and Roots Families in America (Google eBook) http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Root_Genealogical_Records_1600_1870.html?id=X6VPAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y
You might also like to read this account of Joe Jansen’s visit to Badby to see the village his 8x great-grandfather grew up in.